Friday, December 14, 2012

Outlet

We all need a creative outlet. Every one of us. I know this backwards society can often be too much to bear. That is why an outlet of some kind is an absolute requirement! As a teenager I struggled with depression. Not just your typical teenage angsty depression. At the time I actually despised the way most teenagers behaved. So I withdrew further into my own self reflective pool of quixotic despair. I wish I could say that medicines helped but they really didn't. What really, truly helped was the creative outlet I found in music and writing. Every bad thought I had I turned into a song. Every insult I wanted to sling at someone I turned into a poem. Eventually all that writing and rocking out on my guitar helped me transmute my depression into a deeper understanding of myself and existence in general. I honestly do not know what I may have done if I hadn't learn to express myself through music and writing. It sounds cliche but it's the truth. With that in mind... if you ever find yourself overwhelmed with frustrations I urge you to express yourself through song, dance, painting, writing or any sort of activity that will help you vent and ultimately serve your highest good. You can't keep it all bottled up. You just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment